Because entry is FREE for those who bring prepared dishes for the potluck, most tickets are given away. We do this in order to encourage people’s experience of making something together, and also so folks who can’t afford a ticket are not excluded. The income we receive from those who do pay for a ticket goes toward covering theater rental and supplies.
For over four years then, all of us who work on the project have been volunteers, including the organizers. The event is a labor of love, made by everyone who attends, through sharing stories, preparing dishes, buying tickets, setting up, contributing artwork and web support. It’s a monthly opportunity to make something great together, and doing this is fun.
If you’d like to join us in making this magic, below are some opportunities. If you want to participate in any of these ways– or if you have some other resource or skill that you’d like to contribute– let us know. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
– Sound Recorder. Record shows and provide (sometimes edited when folks want their stories omitted) show recordings the following week.
– Recipe Collector and Publisher. Collect recipes and photos of dishes at each show, and post on our website’s recipe page the following week.
– Set Up and Breakdown Crew. Set up the space pre-show, and/or clear things out post-show. With a small handful of volunteers, this work is VERY easy and fast.
– Event Page Maintenance. Set up and maintain event pages with sites like Eventbrite and Meetup.
– Flyering and Postering. Leave fliers and posters in places around your own neighborhood.
In addition to the pleasure of watching these shows take shape each month, we are happy to offer volunteers free dinner and admission to shows, plenty of opportunity for new friends and creative connections, appropriately-glowing professional recommendations, and internship credit when possible.